Sunday, July 01, 2007

on the eve of the first Fireside

Fireside is the evening worship here at Spruce Lake. This week is 12-14 year olds and normally, this age group would be a little crazy for me, but I'm finding an odd sense of calm. Frankly, I don't want to let down the camp director, and I desperately want to do a great job.

That requires me getting out of the and become a shell of myself for God to use. My personality, God's message, I think you get the picture...

This place (Spruce Lake) is a very special place to me. It feels like home; I knew it would. In many ways, it more like home than my house. It's where I met Jesus for the first REAL time. For some reason, this place makes it very easy to see that God is everywhere.

And it's that I hope gets conveyed to the kids tonight.

Sometimes I think it stinks that it's almost a discipline to see God doing God's thing. I wish it came more naturally and it's awesome that this is a place that can happen.

We all pretty much need to remain teachable, and frankly, I haven't been. It's possible that's why things have been so stressful. It's hard to the boss or the expert and remain teachable. It's a quality that I think people value in their leadership, and it's easy to fake. A few well placed nods and a 'sure' here and there can fool most people.

Bottom line though, most people don't really like fakes. And it sucks when people find out you are...

...unless you tell people first...

then that makes you teachable...

No comments: