Thursday, July 26, 2007

I want to be done, but it would be irresponsible...


Done with the whole American political process that is.

A dear friend left a voice mail yesterday that included the info that he needed to include, but as a 'random' thought, he interjected his thoughts on candidates on both sides. Now, it's important that we understand at this point Rush Limbaugh has been what I can only describe as "Gollum-izing" him since the 8th grade (and now we're 30). "For years the ring poisoned his mind..." You can hear it, right?

Anyway, in this spectrum, Guilani is the liberal, so you can only imagine the thoughts about anyone who really is.

So after my pretty decent workout this morning that was pretty relaxing, I went from 0 to frustrated (with the entire process, not my buddy) at warp factor 7. I kind of wish that there was a spot on the ballot that merely says 'abstain.' I register my presence as a part of the process, but I cannot in good conseince vote for either candidate, so I abstain.

Problem is that there is no candidate, no matter what Pat Robertson or his boy says, that reflects the things that Jesus values across the board. I really want to vote and be involved, but I don't know how, and since we all live in the gray between black and white, to vote or not to vote doesn't reflect how I live.

We have been taught to pick and choose issue by issue so much that I'm not even sure Jesus could get elected...

...but he might be able to help with health care what with all those healings and stuff...

5 comments:

MacGeiber said...

How about Dennis?

Michele said...

re: your comments
i have read sex god and loved it... will have to reread as soon as jj finishes it, especially that chapter. but complete loss of control? that doesn't scare me one bit *insert large dramatic eyeroll here out of pure sarcasm*
good thoughts... more pondering....

Tyler said...

"Problem is that there is no candidate, no matter what Pat Robertson or his boy says, that reflects the things that Jesus values across the board."

Isn't this true in every area of our life? I've yet to find a pastor who reflects the things that Jesus values across the board. Does this mean I should give up on the church?

And moreover, while Jesus makes a great King, I don't think he'd make a very good president. The Kingdom that Jesus does and will reign over is nothing like the nations of earth.

Dri said...

Oooooh. Good points, Tyler. Very good points.

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

Well, well said.

I particular enjoyed this comment: I kind of wish that there was a spot on the ballot that merely says 'abstain.' I register my presence as a part of the process, but I cannot in good conscience vote for either candidate, so I abstain.p