Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Not that this is the place you should turn...


...but I have recipes to share. A couple of people have asked how I make my guac and my garden salsa. So, I'll give it a shot.

First, FRESH CILANTRO is the key to everything salsa and guac.

GUAC:

-Two pretty ripe avocadoes scooped out and pitted.
-I'd say about 2 Tbl of jar salsa. We use Chi Chi's, but anything will work.
-Leaves from 8-10 sprigs of cilantro (really explore the studio space with the cilantro. we like it, you may like it more or less-mince the leaves too)
-1 clove of garlic (about a Tbl if you use the jar)- I try to not use the juice in the jar as it can overpower the whole deal
-a couple of pinches of salt
-fresh ground black pepper
-juice from half a lime (a whole lime if the wife's not eating any)

Once that's all in a bowl, then mix it up. It probably makes no difference, but I like the idea of all the stuff mixing together rather than smoothing out the avocadoes and then adding everything else. I use a fork to mix it, that way it stays a little chunky.

(Tostito's scoops are the bomb)

SALSA:

-Three fresh tomatoes- I quarter them and then dig out the guts with a spoon. It makes them easier to handle
-Half a medium sized onion
-One jalepeno, and I usually gut it (or use one and a half- remember the heat's in the seeds and veins in the middle, so if you want spicier salsa, use the seeds and don't carve out the guts of jalepeno so much)
-Garlic, salt, same deal as above
-Juice from one lime
-at least 12 sprigs of cilantro (leaves only)

Dice the tomatoes, onion, and jalepeno
Dice up the cilantro leaves as well
Leave it alone for 45 min.-1 hour and let the flavor mojo happen; you could eat it sooner, but it's best if you let it sit and chill in the icebox.

I made salsa at home for lunch, but it can take some time until you find your salsa chi. It was especially good on top of the black bean burgers I had for lunch.

Have at it, friends...

Now, I'm off to donate plasma...

...random, don't you think...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I must say Ryan's salsa and guacamole is pretty darn good. As you have read I do think he puts too much lime juice in most times, but he's changing that for me! :)

Try these recipes, they're awesome.

Anna@MetaMusings said...

Thanks for the recipe. I will try it soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow, man. You're turning into Racheal Ray...or Ryan Ray.

And I will be trying the guac soon.

Anonymous said...

Sounds REMARKABLY like the recipe I taught you to make. Hmmm....