Thursday, October 05, 2006

Enough is enough

and no, I'm not fed up with anything in particular today...

in fact, the opposite is true. It's been a good day so far. Coffee Amici, a bike ride, and a good book...other recent highlights:

  • getting a free preview on DISH that allows us Bravo so, we WILL be seeing the finale of Project Runway (woo frickin' hoo)
  • me and the boy's first bike ride together--reports are that both of us loved it
  • sesame sticks, sesame stick, sesame sticks
  • another trip to the thai restaraunt, Satang Thai Cuisine on Tiffin...go spend your money there and keep them open; first trip to Maria's Taco on N Main...it's Chipotle without the price tag (again I say woo frickin hoo, baby)--12" soft taco...yum
  • nearly done with my book and it's been a great read. well worth the time...'Everybody Wants to go to Heaven, But No One Wants to Die' by David Crowder

And about this 'getting ahead' business. I think it's fair to say that it is a tremedously overused phrase and futhermore the concept is greviously over-appreciated. It's just that people say it when they feel behind. So, I find myself completely identifying with the author of this snippet of Proverbs when he says that he'll forget about God if he has too much; and I'm far too much of a wuss to rob someone...so there's that too...in any case, I think the feeling I deal with is not so much about conentment, but knowing when I have enough.

Can I also say that money helps/make people do some crazy poo? (I guess I just did; so no permission needed) So then, am I saying that rich people will not enjoy the comforts of heaven? Ummm..no, not really even close. The fact of life (and capitalism) is that some people will have money and stuff than others. I am saying that extreme tight-fistedness and disregard for human need is in fact an issue. Sort of a 'to whom more is given, more is required' line of thinking if you will.

Here's the thing for me today...there is a difference between feeling 'secure' and feeling 'blessed'. Understanding one's being blessed illicts a certain kind of security, that's true. Shouldn't there be though a measure of faith in our dealings? I think that's (in some way) the proverbs guy is saying; that if there's no measure of faith in us understanding God's provision in our lives, then why even bother thanking God for it? Moreover, I've heard people talk about how blessed they are when what they're really saying is 'I'm rubber-stamping the Heavenly Wal-Mart smiley face on my situation to make you think I more humble than I really am.'

(please pardon the broad, sweeping generalizations here, but I think you know what I'm saying)

What am I saying exactly? A life rich of God's blessing isn't always a secure one. Security wasn't promised to us, but God does, in fact, lavish His love and grace and mercy and faithfulness and provision on us. And a life of enough allows us to feel God's blessings and still require the measure of faith that keeps the cycle going; it allows us to see God at work in our lives and in the lives of others...

...and there's no better blessing than that...

No comments: