Thursday, October 12, 2006

The boy takes a pooh (and leaves it)

It's not very often that I end up with a free evening, but after flying solo for yet another meeting, I headed home. Home in time to go to Wal-mart with the family. So, it was me, wife and boy on a scavenger hunt at the new Wal-Mart in town (that's 2 here now in case you're keeping score).


I think many of you know that the boy is using more words now and can talk in sentances if he wants to. This is a cool thing, however the not cool thing is that he expects you to listen and respond to everything. And as you could probably guess, we grow somewhat tired of hearing 'Da da (or mama), I boom!' 461 times in a row. So after a short time in Wal-mart, we were trying to occupy him with stuff so he wouldn't go crazy for us not responding to him every time.


He also loaded our cart up with 5 extra toothbrushes and 3 tubes of toothpaste...just trying to helpful.


So, we made our way back to the baby section...someone's out of his highchair and now get to sit in a booster. By now, he's starting to go nuts, and A. has a 'great' idea...give him a toy from the shelf for him to play with and then tell him that he needs to leave it behind for next time when it's time to go. Her choice? A soft Winnie the Pooh bear that's as big as the boy. He sees it, and then begins to hug it and give it kisses, all the time saying 'Eyeunn Pooh!' (translation I want Pooh)


A.'s reaction? Oh crap, he's never gonna put that thing back...


Mine? He can say Pooh?


By now I am really impressed that the boy can say Pooh when referring to the bear. He's actually been able to say poop for some time now and daddy's so proud. I am so impressed I'm ready to buy the bear for him, while A. (the smarter one of the two of us) is urging the boy let go of Pooh. I'm oblivious...


Needless to say, leaving Pooh behind was quite an ordeal and the few parents that were back there in the section with us had a good time at our expense. Well, A.'s actually...she looked at me and said, 'I take full responsibility for this.'


Eyeunn Pooh...I can still hear him saying it over and over again. Oh and just in case you're wondering, we did find him something to play with that he could take home...


...a gallon of skim milk...

2 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I'm laughing out loud.

:-)

Anonymous said...

Okay, so this is "A" as Ryan referred to me in the blog. I understand now that the "Pooh" thing was a bad idea... what's a mom to do?? It does make for a great story, though! :)

And one specific mom was definitely getting a kick out of us saying, "Okay, let's leave Pooh here so here can be with his family... uh... let's leave him here so he can be here the next time we come..." etc. The boy responded to all of those things with a resounding "UH-UH!" Obviously meaning, NO.

I've learned from this experience.