Tuesday, September 26, 2006

A growing vocabulary

So, they boy is talking now. Well, mostly he is. He says several words now which is both a very good thing and kinda stinky all at the same time. Here is his current list:
  • chooss- juice
  • chiss- cheese
  • bwoon- balloon
  • mow mah- Mom
  • da-dah- Dad
  • eyeunt- I want...
  • dat- that
  • ssdat- what's that
  • uh-huh- yes (also says no in the normal way)
  • shell- shell (don't ask me about that one)

With speaking comes a lot of cool stuff. We can communicate a little easier, but we all get a little more frustrated when we can't quite get our thoughts across to each other. It's like he looks at us and his face says, 'Yo, I'm saying thing as clearly as I can.' He is I'm sure, but I don't often get it until either one of A. or I say 'can you show us' or 'can you point to it?'

With his new found speaking ability, comes a little more defiance also. At least bigger meltdowns when he asks for something very clearly and and we tell him no. It makes me wonder...am I the same with God?

As I have grown and matured in faith and experience, I have learned a 'new' kinds of ways to communicate with God. I also like to think that I have some sort of proficiency in this type of communication. But, with my growth comes different degrees of wandering and 'defiance' to what God is saying, or, at the very least, my failure to see how God is being active in my life and surroundings. I even try to articulate my thoughts, dreams, ideas, desires, and areas for growth to God as clearly as I can...sometimes to no avail, at least seemingly. Then I throw my tantrum or whatever.

When the boy does, he lays on the floor and screams or sometimes he hits us; hitting is good for a trip to 'time out.' This is a time when he gets to find out that daddy is indeed upset. I'm sure that it sucks for him...but I never thought it would suck this much for me. I don't know who time out is harder on; it sure does make the post-time out talk a time for reconciliation rather than a time for him to find out again what he did wrong. Post-time out hugs are the best because they're loaded.

As I continue to imagine a world dripping with a God bent on reconciliation and restoration people to Him and each other, it is as inspiring as it is overwhelming. But it doesn't mean that we stop trying. For me, it starts in my life, my home, and flows out to the rest of the world...

...and boy eyeunt-dat...

No comments: