Wednesday, October 31, 2007

(you're hearing taps played on a bugle)

It was a sad day, kind of...

For about five minutes of it.

I picked up my lovely wife at work and we walked down Main street in search of a lunchtime destination. Her preference? The Greek Garden. A delightful little place that makes great gyros and is the only place close that does saganaki, or 'flaming cheese' as we call it. It hasn't been back open since the flood. It may not every open back up.

My first choice was Fuzzy Berstein's. A Jewish-Italian style deli further north on Main. They always had a great assortment of sandwiches and soups and the coffee wasn't bad either. To our surprise, the flood wiped them out too. The only thing in their space was a chalkboard sandwich board that simply said, "Thanks everyone. You were the best customers ever."

My sadness isn't because I was hungry and they wouldn't be hooking me up with lunch. Most people that start their own business do it for the love of it. Many of them have their dreams fulfilled by opening a little Greek place or a unique Jewish-Italian style deli. Unfortunately, they had to wake up far too soon...

So, we walked and reached our lunchtime destination. The food was great. Company was the best (love you, baby). And now that my belly's full (from a particularly good sandwich, by the way), I'm sure I'm bumed for the people that lost their little hunk of small business bliss, and less about the lack of good saganaki in the county.

1 comment:

Trevor said...

what? fuzzy's is closed???