Sunday, June 24, 2007

Maybe the coolest thing I've ever done...



This past weekend was one of the best weekends I've ever spent anywhere.

This past weekend I was a one volunteer of many at the Ohio Special Olympics 2007 Summer Games at Jesse Owens Stadium at OSU. I have never seen and heard so much joy in one place. From the opening ceremony to the final medal ceremony, it...was...amazing. Friends, never EVER pass up an opportunity to help out there. I could tell stories for days of all the experiences that I had.

Here's the thing.

The whole weekend had very little to do with my experiences. It was all about the athletes.

I am honored they shared their weekend with me.

I've never had so much fun not caring a thing about myself. It was our job to cheer, hug, line up...emotions in the raw.

I wish the real world was a real as the folks I met this weekend. We're the guarded ones; I think it's the reason that people are uncomfortable with folks with special needs. They're more real that we are capable of being.

And they can't help it...

...and after this weekend...

...I'm glad...

1 comment:

Anna@MetaMusings said...

Can anyone volunteer?