Monday, June 18, 2007

Chivalry isn't dead...

though it damn near killed me.

So, I'm at the gas station the other day. After filling up a person, female, about my age walks over.

"Can you do me favor?" she says.

"I can try, though I can't make any promises."

"There is a huge-ass moth in my car. I've never seen one like it, and it's stuck in my back window. Can you get it out?"

At this point I'm thinking, 'sure moths are big, but how big is huge-ass in this particular case.' So I mozy over. Nonchalantly, exuding proper amounts of confidence as to put this female counterpart at ease.

Then I see it.

OUTSIDE: "Wow, that is a big moth. I've not seen one that big before either."

INSIDE: "Holy S--T!!

So, I urge her to pull her car out of the sun, as the moth is trying to fly to the light. She can't be convinced, so against my better judgment, I pull the car forward. We wait to see if said moth will fly out. And, nope it doesn't.

OUTSIDE: Well, maybe I can pull it out with my hat.

INSIDE: Is this really happening?

I reach in with the hat and in two swoops catch the thing and flop it outside the car. Then it happened...

The thing attacked me with it's wings of fury. It was all over my face and head, and I squealed. I could feel my heart rate shoot through the roof. And when the thing finally figured out it was free and flew away, My entire body was shaking.

OUTSIDE: Well, there you go?

INSIDE: Please don't notice that I"m shaking like a leaf, and I'd give you twenty bucks to make sure you don't tell your friends that some brave, albeit, wussy shrieking guy helped you out at the gas station this morning.

It was awesome...

4 comments:

Tyler said...

I could think of one thing, and one thing only ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAzt20BIeA

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

You're a prince.

For women everywhere, I thank you.

Anna@MetaMusings said...

That is hilarious! You're a hero in my book and hopefully she'll "pay if forward" when someone asks her to kindly remove the killer bee from the backseat of their car.

Anonymous said...

You my hero!

Gonna be in Ohio on Thursday...screaming on 'The Maverick' in Sandusky.