Thursday, February 22, 2007

ash wednesday

what a funky observance for people to...well...observe...

During the jOURney ash Wednesday service, I read a snippet of Psalm 103. In verse 14 the psalmist mentions that God is aware of our nature and knows that 'we are but dust.' Truth be told, I know that I am but dust. But, God knows it better than I do. God is aware of the extent of my dustiness.

I am aware of my limitations, but God is more aware. I am aware of my shortcomings, but God is MORE aware.

I don't know about you, but I'm pretty darn aware of my shortcomings and to think that God is more aware and knows more fully the extent of them. Well, I'll put it this way...I can't believe that God allows me to brush my own teeth.

Still, I (we) have a role to play in God's redemptive purpose in the world. It seems more and more that what I feel is my biggest weakness (shortcomings, limitations, all that jazz) might be my biggest asset. Who wants to relate to someone, or at least try to, that comes across as perfect? Not me. Not anyone I can think of...

It's a pretty amazing thing. God truly has no NEED of me, but God has a deep WANT of me...despite all that extra crap...

...and if you're reading this, the same is true of you...

...all of it...

1 comment:

Anna@MetaMusings said...

This was well written. Good thoughts for me to think about.

PS - Great to see you and the fam last night. You are all wonderful.