Sunday, December 17, 2006

today...

Yeah, so not really in a good mood. Just finished teaching Sunday school, and I am finding myself having less and less patience. And, no, I'm not losing patience with the kids...it's their parents. Actually it's really not the parents either. I think it's the bubble of mediocrity that people have pitched their tents in.

I just finshed up spending an hour with kids...didn't mention Jesus. Not that one has to mention Jesus to have a good experience, but I don't know how much longer I can go on feeling no support from several of the families here. Don't get me wrong, there are some great things and great people here, but when it comes to values expressed in words and values expressed in actions (as in what the people value in a youth ministry)...yeah, so not quite equal.

I really feel like I'm doing all that I can, and I don't want to blame stuff on other people because I know what that looks like and sounds like. Like I DO NOT want to come off as 'I could do better if the rest of you gave me a little help here.' But that's how I feel. Like I feel the words, but not the arrogance that statement portrays.

Is this what youth ministry really feels like? Was I on some utopian youth ministry planet until we moved here?

I will persevere. We have a white elephant Christmas thing this afternoon. Doesn't sound like anyone's coming, but we'll see.

We'll see...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My brother from another mother, do be discouraged. There is a movement out there of peopel who want to see the way of Jesus lived out. There are not many of us out of the closet yet because when we bring up the fact that Jesus calls us to something other than the war on Christmas we look like heratics.
Anyway, what is a youth minister doing listening to Jim Wallace and reading Brian Mclearen? Does your Paster/Minister know about this. Heresy!!

Anonymous said...

Been there, done that.

Sometimes it seems the wheels of change go sllllooooowwww.

Hang in there.

J-